Job Title: PR Manager, Soccer Aid for Unicef
Reporting to: Head of Corporate Media, Soccer Aid Productions
Department/Team: Communications Department
Location: Stamford Bridge, Chelsea FC, Fulham Road, SW6 & Unicef UK, 1 Westfield Avenue, Stratford, E20
Hours: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday 9:30am to 5:30pm, with the requirement to work outside core hours
Salary Band/Grade: Dependent on experience
Duration: 6 month FTC
Position in the organisation
The PR Manager will report to the Head of Corporate Media and be part of the team that delivers the PR support to Soccer Aid’s corporate partners. The Soccer Aid for Unicef PR operation is run by the Unicef UK Media team and Soccer Aid Productions (SAP).
Purpose of Post
This is a temporary six-month post, working alongside the Head of Corporate Media, and communications colleagues at Unicef UK, Soccer Aid Productions, and ITV Publicity.
Primarily, the role is focused on the delivery of relevant and impactful media coverage for Soccer Aid’s corporate partners but, when required, will support the overall Soccer Aid for Unicef fundraising and communications objectives, including getting people across the UK involved in fundraising, encouraging members of the public to buy tickets to the match and watching the television programme on ITV in June 2019.
This post will work alongside several external and internal contacts, including contacts at Unicef UK, ITV, Initial, and the Unicef UK Ambassador Relations, Media Relations, and wider Soccer Aid for Unicef Project Team to deliver on their objectives.
This post has no formal line management responsibility, but does require project management of PR work relating to Soccer Aid for Unicef, including campaign delivery and commercial partnerships.
• Support the Head of Corporate Media – Soccer Aid for Unicef with providing media support for UUK and Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019 partners with a focus on fundraising-based commercial initiatives
• Deliver publicity for Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019 and contribute media expertise on strategic decisions around the wider Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019 campaign
• Work with external and internal stakeholders including ITV, Triple S Communications, and the wider Unicef UK PR team to help deliver a comprehensive media strategy for Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019 which contributes towards the overall objectives of Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019.
• Work with colleagues in UUK Communications Department to ensure that the Unicef UK brand is represented in Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019 in a consistent and compelling way.
• Assist with the development of creative PR ideas, press releases, Q&As and crisis statements for Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019, working in collaboration with ITV and Triple S Communications.
• When required, drive media coverage for all aspects of the Soccer Aid for Unicef campaign including driving ticket sales, commercial partner PR activity, mass fundraising, schools activity and TV publicity through creative PR work and celebrity-led activations
• Build and maintain relationships with journalists and producers at key consumer outlets, securing celebrity and Unicef UK Ambassador interviews and features.
• Help to identifying any media risks around Soccer Aid for Unicef 2019 and work with the UUK Head of Media Relations and UUK Senior PR Manager as well as high-level comms contacts from Triple S, ITV, and Initial to crisis manage as necessary
• Participate in the process for monitoring media, identifying opportunities to use the news agenda to raise awareness of Soccer Aid for Unicef and its work, and following through on such opportunities as appropriate.
• Lead or support media work on other issues as determined by the Head of Corporate Media.
• Take responsibility for dealing with unanticipated media queries and initiatives as appropriate.
Decision-making - Sensitively decisive, taking time to consult with relevant stakeholders before making and communicating clear decisions and the reasons for them.
Positive relationships - Nurture professional relationships with colleagues at all levels and with external contacts and partners to support the achievement of objectives.
Efficiency & Effectiveness - Manage conflicting priorities to ensure that objectives are achieved and deadlines met. Anticipate risks and puts plans in place to minimise their impact. Take a solution focused approach to problem solving to succeed in difficult circumstances.
Communication & Influence - Present complex ideas (verbally and in writing) in a compelling way; shows an insight into the person they are seeking to influence and an ability to tailor information accordingly; speaks with sensitivity on difficult issues
Relevant Skills & Experience
Proven experience of working in partnership with external organisations in order to lead the delivery of a co-ordinated mass media campaign.
Proven experience of working with both media and celebrities and in a football-focused environment.
The UK media, including sports journalists across print, broadcast and online media outlets.
Soccer Aid for Unicef – PR Manager
Job Title: PR Manager, Soccer Aid for Unicef